Saturday, February 9, 2008

Writers Strike Was Bad for Online Dating

I'm not a writer, but I am a writer-type. When the writers strike began, I joked with my friends that I would join the writers because I feel most comfortable relating to people on an acerbic level, and because I have plastic frames on my glasses.

Turns out, I also am a writer-type in that I attract writers, both as friends and as potential romantic partners. I've had writers in my life for so long that for a while there I convinced myself that after all I must be a writer too. I even went to journalism school, only to find out that I'm not particularly good at this art form (you're reading this. You tell me.)

So when I started online dating, I felt right at home. The whole dynamic was familiar to me. They (the writers) needed to write about themselves in some cynically charming way to distinguish themselves from the accountants and the lawyers. In fact, a very shallow survey of online dating profiles of writers (and writer-types) will quickly reveal the formula: the profile begins with a less-than enthusiastic remark about one's literary profession, which is immediately defended by proof of gainful employment. The profile continues with a geographical placement (moved to LA from NY), a note of the writer's love for sushi and wine, and the profile is then guaranteed to end with the ironically hilarious "i love puppies" comment, which somehow never gets old.

I think writers feel comfortable with online dating because they get to charm suitors with written words. They are right there in their element.

That's why when the writers went on strike, I was really happy and thought to myself "this is going to do wonders to my dating life. All that free time on their hands, they will be desperate for female companionship."

Alas, I couldn't have been more wrong. It turns out there was nothing good about this strike, especially when it comes to online dating.

First, overnight writers became broke. They couldn't afford to court the ladies. Second, writers became sick. Literally, physically sick. They were just not used to this kind of physical activity - standing outside, on their feet, for the whole day picketing - so they began canceling previous engagements and certainly did not make plans for new ones. And finally, while they used to sit at their desks with their desktops, desperate for human interaction (hence, online dating services), now writers began interacting with each other at the picket lines, and us non-writers (even us writer-types), lost any chance for a writer's companionship.

This morning's news about a tentative agreement reached is turning me on. Big time.

No comments: