Saturday, February 9, 2008

Excellence in JDate Award


When I was in high school, I felt like an underdog because I had recently moved to America and felt like I needed to catch up. That's why I was really surprised when I received the Bank of American Merit Scholar award at the end of the year, right before I found out I was
graduating as the top 11th person in my class.

Then in grad school, I felt like the only person who had no clue about corporate communication because I only had nonprofit experience. Again, I felt like I was constantly trying to catch with everyone else. I was shocked when I received the Excellence in Graduate Scholarship award and graduated first in my class.

Last night, I logged onto jdate to see who I am up against. I mean, I haven't been getting so many emails or hits, and I felt like I MUST be doing something wrong on there. So I changed my preferences: I am a man looking for a woman, ages 22-42, 40 miles around my zipcode. Yes, I wanted to cast my net wide, as I needed to get a good sample. I searched under "most active", and then decided to search under "most popular." My jaw dropped to the floor when I saw my own profile appear as the SECOND MOST POPULAR girl!

I win!!!

I don't know why I expected my online dating to be more exciting and voluminous than it was.

I need some perspective. Neither human life or virtual life is really that exciting. And that should be sufficient.

No comments: